Changing mass/space dimensions using the Edit Length tool
How to use the Edit Length tool to edit room size in a floor plan during a massing study.
Edit Length is used to set room dimensions. Unlike move, which works on portions of a split edge, edit Length modifies the entire connected dimension of a wall.
- Go to the Design tab and select the Edit Length tool.
- Hover on an edge, the edge is displayed in cyan, and the room is highlighted in yellow.
- Use the tab key to toggle between which of the connected rooms you want to edit, the highlighted edges indicate which room will be modified.
- Then simply input the new room dimension and the edge is elongated or shortened accordingly.
- Please note that Edit Length continues to work in the counterclockwise direction.
- Similar to move edge, extending an edge using edit Length will modify adjacent rooms as well, creating new edges where needed.
- If an edge is not highlighted on hover, it is because that edge is not editable, i.e., editing the edge may cause neighboring rooms to disappear or morph out of shape.
- Limits are set on Edit Length, so that rooms do not collapse into themselves, and do not criss cross. This limit, called the Length Constraint, is set to 10mm by default. If you input a dimension that would cause the room to collapse, or delete a neighboring room, the input is highlighted in red as an error, and is not processed. You can override the default value in Project Properties.
Did this answer your question?
Changing shape of a mass using Add Vertex
In this section learn how to edit the shape of a mass in plan view by adding new vertices that can be moved to create new corners. Add vertex makes it incredibly easy to add layers to detail to your design. Adding a vertex on the edge of one room ...
Changing shape of a mass using Remove Vertex
In this section learn how to edit the shape of a mass in a plan view by removing any vertices or corners. Remove vertex is used to remove redundant corners and alcoves in the design. Removing a vertex from any one room will also remove it for the ...
Editing a room's dimensions and shape by moving a side or corner
Editing a room's dimensions and shape by moving a side or corner How to use double click with Move tool to move a wall or a corner in the plan, or change the geometry and size of a room in either 2D or 3D Amritha Krishnan Move-in Snaptrude is ...
Scaling a room, space or a group of rooms and spaces
Scaling a room, space or a group of rooms and spaces How to scale rooms or masses to increase their height or overall size Amritha Krishnan In Massing mode, you can scale rooms and spaces to make them larger or smaller. You cannot scale BIM objects ...
Editing a room's size and shape in 3D with the Extrude tool
Editing a room's size and shape in 3D with the Extrude tool How to use the Extrude tool to change the geometry of a mass and how it is different from the Move tool used on a face. You can use the Extrude tool to extend a room, adding new wall faces ...